Structures and Integrity
De-risking critical aspects for concept selection and enable cost-effective design and fabrication of support structures through reduced uncertainty and application of novel methods.
- Improved methods for prediction of interactions between environmental loads, soil and structure.
- Decision support platform for lifetime prediction
- Cost-effective serial production of substructures
Fundamental understanding and accurate models of load, response, and degradation will be a key enabler for design, digitalised operation and lifetime prediction of support structures.
Methodology and research tasks
Ambition for innovations
Improved models for reliable predictions and better
understanding of interactions between environmental loads, soil, and structure. Accurate knowledge of site conditions and extreme environmental loads is insufficiently applied in early-phase design.
Decision support platform
Decision support platform for life prediction based on advanced model and condition monitoring. Limited understanding and modelling capabilities for material damage during operation.
Cost-effective serial production of offshore sub-structures, including a high degree of automation. Manual welding and coating are bottlenecks and cost drivers in fabrication.
Main results from 2021
Establishing a sand database
- The foundation concept selection for wind turbines often relies on limited information on the soil conditions and some generic correlations. Having access to data and better correlations can facilitate the development of offshore wind projects and de-risk foundation concepts that are sensitive to soil conditions.
Laser welding of thick-walled steel plates
- For the accelerated deployment of large-scale offshore wind, we need cost-effective, sustainable, and mass-produced substructures. The ability to efficiently perform welding of thick steel plates resulting in a good quality weld with respect to full penetration and material properties is central. A full-penetration, defect-free weld has been achieved.