Digital Twin & Asset Management
Developing methodologies to elevate the capability level of Digital Twins from 0-2 to 3-5 (autonomy).
- High level of physical realism in DTs
- Max. power production with min. asset degradation
- Probabilistic predictive maintenance
Digital Twin with high level of realism will be a paradigm shift for informed decision making
Methodology and research tasks
Main results from 2021
Digital Twin adapted for wind energy
- A technology watch on the topic of digital twins was conducted to establish the state-of-the-art in the technology. 15 industry partners provided detailed feedback which has been processed and sent back to them for their approval for circulation and publication.
- Work on a perspective article titled “A digital twin framework for wind energy” is ongoing.
- A conference paper titled “Machine-learning based non-intrusive parametric reduced-order model for flows around aerofoils and wind turbine blade” was submitted to DeepWind.
- Ongoing work on a conference paper titled “Hybrid analysis and modelling as a digital twin enabler for wind energy”.
Farm flow modelling
- A multiscale wind prediction model has been set up for the Bessaker Wind Farm.
- Work on a paper titled “Reinforcement learning for stabilising IEA 15MW offshore wind turbine under varying wind conditions” is underway.
- Nord2000 noise models applied to Bessaker use case for idealised wind conditions.
- Reduced Order Modelling of wakes using a hybrid approach.
- A journal article titled “A hybrid POD approach for the solution of transient turbulent flow problems” is ready for submission.
- First draft of a journal article titled “Physics Guided Neural Network-assisted Corrective Source Term Approach to Hybrid Analysis and Modelling” is ready for submission.
- Predictive maintenance and decision support for wind energy applications.
- A conference paper titled “A review of fault prognostic models for predictive maintenance of offshore wind turbines” was submitted to Deep Wind.
Informed public engagement
- A first version of the Augmented Reality tool was demonstrated.